Foreign relations of Packilvania
|This article is part of a series on the|
|Politics of Packilvania|
Packilvania is an absolute theocratic monarchy located in Yasteria known for having the largest population, the largest nuclear weapons stockpile, third-largest military budget, the third-largest military by the number of personnel, the third-largest GDP, largest surface area, and among rates of biological diversity in the world. Yet, it is not part of many international partnerships nor does it have warm relationships with many nations. Nevertheless, its foreign policy is dynamic and fills a niche specifically in low-cost manufacturing, commodities, and narcotics as well as alternative means of conflict and dispute resolution that international multilateral organisations and liberal democratic powers do not.
Countries that want to have diplomatic relations with Packilvania are expected to recognise central and western Yasteria as part of the Packilvanian Sphere of Influence. Furthermore, they are required to recognise Lyon as a part of Packilvania or to not recognise Lyon as an independent nation. Some nations practice a policy of strategic ambiguity whereby they do not explicitly state their position on Lyon while recognizing Packilvania. Packilvania has been known to leverage its economic and military might to bully smaller states. In other instances, Packilvania has used the Packilvanian Expeditionary Force to support non-state actors in meddling in the political affairs of other nations. Packilvania does not recognize many international conventions and participates in very few formal multilateral initiatives. Instead, it prefers bilateral engagements. This has resulted in it struggling to exert influence outside of its immediate territory.
Significant geopolitical concerns for Packilvania include access to freshwater, protection of its northern border and freedom of navigation in the Concordian, Packilvanian and Pacific Oceans.
Most of Packilvania's freshwater originates from the Trans-Drakkengard Mountain System. This is a system of high-altitude mountains in North-East Packilvania, Northern Allegheny, Central and Southern Drakkengard, Western and Southern Vekaiyu. The importance of reliable and abundant access to freshwater has been an existential issue for the Packilvanian state since its founding the in the 7th century. Due the fact that much of its North, West and East territories are arid, water for irrigation and consumption from the rivers originating in the Trans-Drakkengard Mountain System have been crucial in sustaining life, agriculture and industry. The advent of modern industry and the immense growth of the population as well as climate change have made access to fresh water more pressing. Analysts and historians have attributed the millenia-long disputes and wars between Vekaiyu and Packilvania to control over water resources. Outside of Pax-Draconica, the Uliveru Mountains and Ta'lavero Mountains of Vekaiyu, are some of the largest sources of freshwater in the world.
For most of Packilvania's history, the north and western deserts have proven to be important barriers against invasions from those directions. However, due to the vulnerability of the South and Center (which are the most economically, politically and demographically important parts of the country), Packilvania has always had to protect its northern border. At the same time, this has presented challenges for outward expansion. Due to the relatively flat terrain of its most important parts, outward expansions to the desert has been crucial in its defence.
Access to the seas has been of supreme geostrategic importance. As such, Packilvania has always tried to secure its interests in the Packilvanian, Concordian and Pacific Oceans through territorial expansion. At the height of its power during the Demir dynasty, Packilvania controlled territories in the East and West of Yasteria and north of Arcturia to ensure access to these seas. With the advent of global trade, access to these areas is of high geostrategic significance. With most of its economic prosperity relying on foreign exports, the Arcturian Straits have proven crucial for Packilvanian trade. As the system of colonisation has waned, Packilvania has sought instead to build alliances or extort cooperation from the so-called Gateway States of Phoenixia, Alksearia, Hadena, and Iphelklori. To ensure access to the Borean Sea, Packilvania has maintained a very close relationship with Kalatya. Despite decolonising Sorentavia and North Crencello, Packilvania continues to control Antimovo & Sarimov to ensure uninterrupted access to the Pacific Ocean.
Many of the programs that Packilvania adopts are an example of hub and spoke diplomacy whereby Packilvania is the hub and the allied nations are the spokes. As such these programs exist in the framework of bilateral agreements between Packilvania and its allies which follow the framework of the programs mentioned below:
Foreign Military Assistance
The Foreign Military Assistance Program is an architecture of bilateral agreements between Packilvania and its allies whereby it aims to accomplish the following:
- Provision 1: Interoperability of weapons and support systems,
- Provision 2: Mutual protection in the case of unprovoked attack by a foreign power on their territory as recognised and defined by mutual agreement,
- Provision 3: Non-aggression against each other,
- Provision 4: Establishment of military bases and/or other military facilities in the allied country's territory
- Provision 5: Nuclear umbrella whereby Packilvania deploys its nuclear assets to the allied state to be used in the case of a nuclear attack in line with Packilvania's non-first-strike policy.
- Provision 6: Joint development of military technology
- Provision 7: Seek Packilvanian supported or administered meditation and arbitration of disputes against other countries who are signatories of treaties established in terms of FMAP.
- Provision 8: Mutual intelligence sharing
- Provision 9: Prior warning of a pre-emptive military strike against an aggressor power
- Provision 10: Joint military exercises,
- Provision 11: Joint training military personnel
Depending on the extent to which the agreement with the other state encompasses the provisions of the FMAP, the Packilvanian government will assign a tiered classification. The only country to reach the highest tier of the FMAP program is Drakkengard. Other nations which participate in the program to varying degrees are detailed in the section on the List of countries with diplomatic relations. The minimum provision that must be accepted to join the program is Provision 3.
Preferential Market Access
The Preferential Market Access Program (PMAP) is designed to facilitate closer cooperation between Packilvania and participating states. This entails lowering trade barriers including tariffs, lowering barriers to movement namely related to easing restrictions to commercial travel, tourism, studying and working in each other's countries, swapping currencies (enabling participating states to gain direct access to the Packilvanian dinars instead of going through the Packilvanian Currency Exchange Bureau) and other economic cooperation measures. Nations that participate are expected to recognise Packilvania and its claims to Lyon.
International Agreements and Memberships
Packilvania is a member of the International Forum. It joined in early to mid 2022. As of 15 July 2022, it is represented by Prince Faijil a-Uhayed Bedon who was appointed by Prince Thumim a-Namdun Bedon. Packilvania is also a signatory of the Commercial Cooperation Partnership, an invite-only agreement on normalizing economic relationships with member states of the League of Novaris that was formed in 2022. It is a signatory of the Puntalian Compromise Treaty signed after the end of the Puntalian Crisis.
In 2022, Packilvania and the Union of Commonwealth Alliances signed an agreement known as the Treaty of Culoria which stated that they would work towards a referendum for Puntalia to join New Puntalia or become independent and to basically end the conflict. Furthermore, Packilvania and some member states signed the Pax-UCA Trade Partnership to thaw trade tensions that had arisen due to the crisis. Packilvania is also a signatory (and the chief architect) of the International Convention on Climate Change.
- Sultan of Packilvania, His Imperial Majesty, Namdun III, has supreme control of foreign relations
- Crown Prince of Packilvania, His Imperial Highness, Prince Thumim Bedon, advisor of the Sultan on foreign relations
- Prime Minister of Packilvania, His Imperial Highness, Prince Luwadeen a-Harim Bedon, advisor of the Sultan on foreign relations
- Foreign Minister of Packilvania, His Imperial Highness, Prince Alawadun Bedon, head of the Department of Foreign Affairs
- Ambassador of Packilvania to [INSERT COUNTRY], His Excellency, highest representative of Packilvania to any country
- High Consul of Packilvania to [INSERT COUNTRY], The Honourable, second-highest representative of Packilvania to any country
- Consul of Packilvania to [INSERT COUNTRY], The Honourable, third-highest representative of Packilvania to any country
- Director of the Trade and Immigration Office of Packilvania in [INSERT COUNTRY], lowest representative of Packilvania to any country
Types of relations
Packilvania classifies its relations as follows:
- Allies: Close relationship which involves non-aggression or mutual defence. Does not recognise Lyon.
- Partners: Good relationships which may involve non-aggression pacts. Does not recognise Lyon.
- Mutual recognition: Cordial relationships. Usually maintains ambiguity on recognition of Lyon.
- Strained: Dispute or tensions. Mutual recognition but may not recognise Packilvanian claims on Lyon
- Hostile: Severe dispute e.g., territorial and/or active declaration of war. Mutual recognition but does not recognise Packilvanian claims on Lyon.
- Claimed: Not recognised as a sovereign state due to being recognised as a part of Packilvania and may be regained by force at a future date.
Type of missions
- Embassy: Full suite of diplomatic services and recognition of full diplomatic immunity. Nations with status from Allies to Mutual Recognition may have an embassy. Headed by an Ambassador. Usually a Packilvanian Ambassador has the style of Excellency and their title may not dip below Knighthood (Sir or Dame)
- Consulate: Partial suite of diplomatic services and partial recognition of diplomatic immunity. Nations with status of Strained fall in this category. Headed by a Consul or a High Consul. Usually a Packilvanian High Consul or Consul has a style of Honourable ans may not rise above Knighthood (Sir or Dame)
- Trade and Immigration Office: Limited diplomatic services and no recognition of diplomatic immunity. Nations with status of Hostile or entities not recognised by Packilvania as sovereign nations may have such an office. Headed by a Director with no style and whose title may not rise above Commoner (Mr, Mrs, Ms etc).
List of countries with diplomatic relations
|Country||Status||Highest representative to||Highest representative from||Type of mission to||Type of mission from||FMAP & RMAP||PMAP||Other|
|Drakkengard||Personal union||Duke Ashil Qasamoon of Lawoda||Duke Madawan Drakk of Vaskar||Embassy (Vaskar), Consulate (Jabal)||Embassy(Bingol), Consulate (Kemer, Akas Akil)||Yes||Yes||Refer to Pax-Draconica for more information|
|Great Morstaybishlia||Allies||Duke of Jubrael||Embassy (Sani Bursil), Consulate (Aeternum, Kirdintayos, Fort Makuh)||Former members of the Morsto-Pax Union, relations restored under Sultan Amhoud I.|
|Kalatya||Allies||Marquis of Waleema||Embassy (Kala City)||Host of the PAF Yasteria Combatant Command|
|Iphelklori||Allies||Marquis of Idameed||Embassy (Iphelstad City)||Host of the PAF Arcturia Combatant Command, supported during Yadylika War|
|Rodenia||Allies||Marquis of Damaclion||Embassy (TBD)||Embassy (Bingol)||Yes||Yes||Supported in the 2020 Puntalian Military Intervention|
|Nystatiszna||Allies||Earl of Thawaq||Lady Maja Eriksen||Embassy (Newport)||Embassy (Bingol)||Yes||Host of the PAF Borea Combatant Command|
|Stratarin||Partners||Baron Khamad Rujal||Embassy (Coyden)||Embassy (Bingol)||Host of the PAF Gondwana Combatant Command|
|Allegheny||Partners||Baron Yabran Gula||Embassy (TBA)||Embassy (Bingol)||Regarded as part of Packilvanian sphere of influence (e.g., Alleghenian War)|
|Peregrinia||Partners||Sir Ilahadeen Muramid||Embassy (Astryon), Consulate (Prometheusburg)||No||No||Trade Agreement and voluntary and peaceful cession of Hoopland to Peregrinia|
|Phoenixia||Sir Halaad Abran||Embassy (Phoenixia Ville)||Embassy (Bingol)|
|Cryria||Mutual Recongition||Sir Dulaan Demir||Embassy (Bingol)||No||No||Signatory of the Commercial Cooperation Partnership|
|Albanares||Mutual Recongition||Sir Habib Madawahal||Embassy (TBA)||Former colony lost in the Albanarian War, used by Carriers of Mercy to repatriate humans during Communist rule|
|Sorentavia||Mutual recognition||Sir Duwal Jibranim||Embassy (Alvyda)||Former colony lost in the Sorentavian Independence War|
|The Oan Isles||Mutual recognition||Sir Ubran Thuhayek||Mr Manaia Kawatea||Embassy (Tokapa)||Embassy (Bingol), Consulate (Kemer)||No||No||-|
|Iboma||Mutual recognition||Sir Zahadim Kharayas||Mdm Mudumahulu Chimawela||Embassy (Komodu)||Embassy (Bingol), Consulate (Kemer)||No||No||-|
|Oscrelia||Mutual recognition||Sir Sulwadeen Imodin||Embassy (Culoria)||No||No||Depository, mediator and signatory of the Treaty of Culoria|
|Blaskog||Mutual recognition||Sir Ruhaad Gamdal||Lord Tivig Ørndalen||High Consulate (Kungstad)||No||No||Overall neutral relations, though complicated as the result of NCEF sanctions on Packilvania.|
|Alksearia||Mutual recognition||Sir Rayees Zayeen||High Consulate (Urgia-Nova)||No||No||Signatory of the Pax-UCA Trade Partnership and the Treaty of Culoria|
|Kaldrbuth||Mutual recognition||Sir Luhad Fandar||High Consulate (Hrafnheimr)||No||No||Signatory of the Pax-UCA Trade Partnership and the Treaty of Culoria|
|Atlalandr||Mutual recognition||Sir Amhodien Walsamoon||High Consulate (Atlaborg)||No||No||Signatory of the Pax-UCA Trade Partnership and the Treaty of Culoria|
|Eyjaria||Strained||Sir Fuldeen Julhadoon||High Consulate (Sverdstrand)||No||No||Signatory of the Pax-UCA Trade Partnership and the Treaty of Culoria|
|Antora||Strained||Sir Khuril Medir||Baron Bruno de Luíz||High Consulate (Eleçeron)||Embassy (Bingol)||No||No||Tensions due to species rights and societal structure|
|Fortuna||Strained||Mr Ebalam Dareena||Consulate (Destino)||No||No||Demands apology for Purification Period|
|Volkia||Strained||Mr Taj Kawalamundun||Mr Mstislav Polzunov||Consulate (Volkgoroda)||Consulate (Bingol)||No||No||Tensions due to species rights and state sponsored terrorism|
|Dvalheim||Strained||Mr Telwadek Salmudeen||Consulate (Vinby)||No||No||Signatory of the Pax-UCA Trade Partnership and the Treaty of Culoria|
|Norgsveldet||Strained||Mr Ejurul Hayadak||Hallgram Espe||Consulate (Osfjord)||Consulate (Bingol)||No||No||Tensions due to Yadylika War, Puntalian Crisis etc. Signatory of the Pax-UCA Trade Partnership and the Treaty of Culoria|
|Sokala||Strained||Mr Madwalim Fudahid||Consulate (Bondoc City)||No||No||Tension due to Yadylika War|
|Free Pacific States||Hostile||Mr Ubayed Majala||Trade and Immigration Office (Faramount)||No||No||Long running historical rivalries (e.g., support of Lyon Republic, Second Free Pacific War)|
|New Puntalia||Strained||Sir Yavan Bilahel||High Consulate (Fuerte Del Rey)||No||No||Tension due to Yadylika War and 2020 Puntalia Military Intervention|
|South Hills||Hostile||Mr Yalhaden Awasool||Trade and immigration Office (Matthews, Elizabeth)||No||No||Does not recognize South Hill's claim over Tano|
|Vekaiyu||Hostile||Mr Yaheva Lohadun||Trade and Immigration Office (Eldura)||No||No||Long-running historical rivalry (e.g., Alleghenian War)|
|Infinite Loop||Hostile||None||None||None||None||No||No||Unresolved disputes due to Pax-Looplite War|
|Lyon||Claimed||None||None||None||None||No||No||Lyon Republic is not recognised and Lyon is regarded as a province of Packilvania|