Standard National Bank
|Motto||Confidence, Trust, Stability|
|Predecessor||Tekeha Banking Consortium|
|Merged into||Richard Brothers|
Ivarovna Family Bank
|Formation||August 2, 1810 as TMB|
July 8, 1860 as SNB
|Founder||Ludmilla Tekeha (TMB)|
Great Chief Hupirimu (SNB)
|Legal status||Public for-profit limited liability company|
|Headquarters||Tokapa, The Oan Isles|
|Origins||The Oan Isles|
|Iparihimu Matihire (CEO)|
Lady Ina Toangakau (Chairwoman)
|25 billion KRB|
|Expenses||23 billion KRB|
Standard National Bank (also known as SNB) is a publicly-traded for-profit limited liability financial services company from the Oan Isles primarily engaged in commercial banking operations. SNB operates across Aurora and Novaris while its main office is located in the city of Tokapa in the Oan Isles. The bank started as the payment handling offices of the Tekeha Merchant Guild (TMG) in 1784, then evolved to the Tekeha Merchant Bank (TMB) in 1810. The TMB became the head of the larger Tekeha Banking Consortium (TBC) in 1825. The TBC was seized by the state and sold to the Hupirimu Family Trust in 1868 and became rebranded as the Standard National Bank (SNB). In 1917, the Hupirimu family put the SNB up for sale and the company expanded, absorbing a string of companies along the way. Today, it is the largest financial services company in the Oan Isles.
Great Chief Wiremu Tekeha used his family's fortune which was raised from handling foreign goods arriving in the Oan Isles to employ sailors to acquire goods directly from the source nations at a commission starting around 1768. Great Chief Tekeha then bought the ships and brought the merchants under the full employment of his family in 1779. His daughter, Tuhana Tekeha established the Tekeha Merchant Guild in 1784 which was wholly owned by the Tekeha Family Trust to conduct trade and bulk retail operations. In 1793, the Tekeha Merchant Guild established payments handling offices which coordinated purchases from clients. These payments handling offices started giving out loans and providing gold depositing services in 1797. In 1810, the payment handling offices and other financial services operations were reestablished as the Tekeha Merchant Bank which was wholly owned by the Tekeha Merchant Guild. In 1820, the Tekeha Merchant Guild (TMG) established the Tekeha Certificate Printing Works which started out printing certificates for other Merchant Banks but evolved to a system of certificates redeemable by the bearer at all participating banks which officially became the Tekeha banking Consortium in 1825.
The Tekeha Banking Consortium (TBC) became among the 3 main banking groups in the Oan Isles by the Morsto-Oan War in 1855. It established offices in Monte Cadre in what today comprises the Morstaybishlian West Pacific Territories. When the Morsto-Oan War broke out, the banking operations in Morstaybishlian territory were reorganised as a nominally independent company, the Standard Pacific Banking Corporation (SPB), receiving Royal Charter in 1856. The TBC grew enormously wealthy from lending funds to both the Oan sides and the Morstaybishlians and was found to have an indirect working relationship with the Wakatunuye Tribe and Admiral Lusergart who had effectively started the war. When the war ended in 1860, the Oan government was rebuilding the country and relied on financing from the TBC, incurring massive kirib-denominated loans (which TBC received via TMG from SPB). When Emperor Rangitake overthrew his father Emperor Tamatea and undertook reforms, he established a commission led by Great Chief Ahere Hupirimu (who was a commercial and political rival to the Tekeha Clan and ally of the new Emperor).
The Hupirimu Commission found the Tekeha Clan and their companies to have profited from the war. Their wealth was seized by the state under the Foreign Enemy Collusion Decree. The government took ownership of Tekeha assets and dissolved the SPB. It sold off all the properties and companies. The Hupirimu Family Trust (under Great Chief Hupirimu) purchased the TBC and rebranded it as the Standard National Bank in 1868. They moved its main offices from Anapa where it was originally located and started operations in 1870. SNB started operations in Great Morstaybishlia, after Great Chief Hupirimu's successor Great Chief Umanga Hupirimu convinced Rangitake's successor Emperor Mikaere to repeal the Foreign Enemy Collusion Decree. As part of democratic reforms, Emperor Mikaere established the Constitution of the Oan Isles in 1907 and ceded law making powers to the National Assembly and disestablished the feudal power of the nobility of the Oan Isles.
Great Chief Hupirimu and the Hupirimu Clan became incalculably wealthy as they used their political clout to support the campaigns of favourable members of the Council of the People. The SNB in turn benefited from conditions that were favourable to banks that adhered to reforms started by Emperor Rangitake and continued by Emperor Mikaere to centralised money creation and bring the banking sector under the control of the Bank of the Oan Isles. The SNB continued as a commercial bank and expanded its operations to lands of the Crowns of Great Morstaybishlia, Salovia and Kuthernburg. It grew incredibly wealthy from lending money and helping store and move the funds of the nations of the Imperial and Pacific Powers in the Great War.
Post-Great War Era
The Hupirimu Clan sold off some of their assets in SNB to disentangle themselves from the controversy facing banks that were financing the different sides of the Great War. The SNB had the vast majority of its shares put on the public Tokapa Stock Exchange and some of its other shares were put up on the Sani Bursil Stock Exchange. It established a second office in Sani Bursil in 1926 to benefit from that nation's post-war reconstruction boom. It absorbed, the Richard Brothers, a bank in Caltharus in 1945. It absorbed the Ivarovna Family Bank in Akhalibisi in 1957 in what today forms Tuvaltastan. It once again benefitted from the Oan Isles' neutrality to support different sides of the conflict with financial resources during the Auroran Imperial War.