Ethaln League

From TEPwiki, Urth's Encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ethaln League
  • ‘'Ethalrien Liga’’
  • ‘'Lia da l'Ethaln’’
Member states of the Ethaln League (blue)
on the continent of Aurora (gray)
Secretariat Headquarters Ribenstadt
Official languages
TypeInter-parliamentary institution
Membership Asilica
File:Drakaland flag.png Drakaland
• Secretary-General of the Ethaln League
Raisa Ottitari
• Ribenstadt Summit
February 11-20, 2019
• Treaty of Ribenstadt signed
February 22, 2019
• Inaugural Session of Ethaln League Council
February 24-March 6, 2020
• Total
2,479,121.68 km2 (957,194.23 sq mi)
• 2020 estimate
2 currencies

The Ethaln League is the official body for formal inter-parliamentary co-operation amongst the Ethaln countries. Formed in 2019, it has 90 representatives from Asilica, Drakaland, Faethalria, Kothalria, Sarentria, and Vothetria. The representatives are members of parliament in the respective countries or areas and are elected by those parliaments. The League holds ordinary sessions each year in February and March and usually another additional session per year with a specific theme. The Leagues’ official languages are Ethalrian and Asilican. The two languages are the first language of over 89% of the region’s population and are learned as a second language by the remaining 11%.


The League was founded in 2019, largely as a response to increased political cooperation among Auroran nations and a concern among member-states that Ethalrian identity could be lost among the larger membership of the UNAC. The primary work establishing the League was undertaken at a summit of the member-states that was held in Ribenstadt, Faethalria in February of 2019.

The idea was immediately popular among most of the Ethaln nations, which until 2017 had been united within a single country. Notably not invited to the summit in Ribenstadt was Thalria, due to their lack of a democratic system of government. Asilica, a neutral nation of South Ethalrians with a distinct identity from the Ethalrian ethnic group, was never part of the Grand Matriarchy of Ethalria but agreed to join in the interest of furthering “regional peace, cooperation, and economic and cultural ties.”

The first ordinary session of the League was held over February and March of 2020. The first additional, or “theme” session, is scheduled to be held later in 2020 with a theme of “economic partnership.”



The Council is the primary organ of the Ethaln League, consisting of 90 members from among the member-state Parliaments and reflecting the relative representation of political parties within those Parliaments. Each member-state sends 15 representatives each to the Council, elected by national Parliaments from among their own membership.

The Council does not have any formal power on its own, but each government has to implement any decisions through its national legislature. The Council also has no power regarding military cooperation.

Council of Ministers

While the Council focuses on inter-parliamentary cooperation, the Council of Ministers focuses on intergovernmental cooperation. The Council of Ministers can meet as any group of corresponding Ministers in member-state governments, such as the Ministers of Finance or Ministers of Agriculture. It can also meet as a group of all the Heads of Government of the member-states, meaning the President of Faethalria, the President of Kothalria, the Chancellor of Asilica, and the Prime Ministers of the remaining member-states.

A meeting of the Council of Ministers composed of the Heads of Government meets at least once a year at the same time as the ordinary session of the Council. Meetings of the Council of Ministers with other ministers can be held at any time provided that a majority of members agree to call the meeting.

Secretary General

The Secretary-General of the Ethaln League is the chief executive of the League and presides over the meetings of both the Council and the Council of Ministers. They are also responsible for drawing up the agenda for the ordinary session of the Council.

The Secretary-General is elected by the Council for a three-year term from among individuals nominated by member-state Heads of Government sitting as the Council of Ministers.


The League has focused so far on strengthening cultural and economic ties among the Ethaln countries. As a particular effort in cultural exchange, the League has promoted the education of both the Ethalrian and Asilican languages in schools in member-states to foster a sense of cultural belonging among the youth.

The potential area in which the League may work is quite broad, and holds very little limit except for the current statutory limitation on military cooperation. However, as the League’s decisions are only advisory in nature and not binding, it is up to each member-state to determine if and in what way to implement the League’s proposals.