|This page (or section) is a work in progress by its author(s) and should not be considered final.|
State Flag and Civil Flag
and largest city
|Official languages||Barbaneran Norvian,|
|Recognised regional languages||Vistarian, Noorvic, Kolonital, Cukish (Valrikan), Chibian, Wesalaric, Norgsveltian, Ulvrikian|
• President of Barbanera
• Celanoran settlement
• Beginning of partial Vistari occupation
|14,787 km2 (5,709 sq mi)|
• Water (%)
• 2020 estimate
Barbanera, officially called Isola di Barbanera, is an island nation located in Northeastern Gondwana off the coast of Duominzu. The island's capital and largest city is Cocco.
The prehistoric period was marked by sparse human activity on the island relative to nearby areas. Archeological remains indicate the presence of intermittent small temporary settlements during this era. The only ancient structure still standing is a temple, leading historians to speculate that the island may have had a religious significance and have only been visited during pilgrimages.
The island became a colony of the Celanoran Empire at its zenith in the 1300s as a trading port with Gondwana and a frequent travel destination for the imperial aristocracy. Emperor Rinaldo the Eternal had broader colonial ambitions for Celanora which were never accomplished following his death in the Tretrido-Celanoran War and the subsequent fall of the First Empire.
Barbanera has de jure control over the entire island. However, the western portion of the island has been under Vistari occupation since the Great War via the Grand Dominion of North Gondwana. West-Zwartbaar's jurisdiction over the island is only recognized by 5 other nations. The international community has been overall unwilling to act in the situation due to the delicate situation. Barbanera's allies will not intervene unless there is a severe disruption of the mostly peaceful status quo.
The island's original name — Isola Meridionale — was bestowed upon it when it became a colony of the Celanoran Empire. In Staynish, this translates to "southerly" and refers to its southern position from the empire. Its current name originates from Lorenzo "Barbanera" Insigne, a famous pirate who lead a clique that wrestled control of the island from the Celanorans for three centuries. The island was posthumously renamed in his honour by his son who inherited control over the island and the clique. The island off the coast of Cocco was named after his mother, Lucia. Once Celanora regained control, it continued to use Isola Meridionale but this name was not used locally. The name "Barbanera" was only officially adopted by the Celanorans after the collapse of the Second Empire.
Barbanera is a presidential republic with universal suffrage. The president and representatives are elected separately, though usually simultaneously.
There are three major factions in Barbaneran politics pertaining to the status of the nation and of West-Zwartbaar:
- The Dividere want West-Zwartbaar to be recognised as a distinct and independent entity, thus relinquishing Barbanera's claim to the west of the island;
- The Riunione want the whole island to be under Barbaneran control;
- The Collaborazione want to form a confederation comprising both entities.
Collaboration across faction lines is common and those in the same faction do not necessarily agree on other policy decisions.
Barbanerans put a substantial focus on municipal elections, which occur every two years. Mayors and councilors campaign together as a squadra (lit. "team"). The squadra with the most votes is elected for a four-year term. While many of these teams are independent, some are aligned with particular positions on the island's status analogous to those in the national government. Mayors meet quarterly in the Town Hall of Cocco to discuss various local issues, propose solutions, plan events, and foster a sense of collaboration between cities. These discussions are often attended by representatives from the Assembly and always broadcasted on national television.
Barbanera is divided into 12 administrative divisions for census and postal purposes. They are occasionally used to indicate what general area a person is from.
Pinna, Baia Julian, Ananas, and Corsaltiempo are fully occupied by West-Zwartbaar. Parts of Portovest, Giungula, and Pappagallo also fall under their de facto jurisdiction. The occupied territory is managed under the same divisions but under different names.
Barbanera is among the most diverse places in the world, being a prime area to retire and travel for the inhabitants of Gondwana, Novaris, and Concord. The Aksoltalik people, who are native to the island, are also present in various communities.
These various communities are broadly subdivided into four groups:
- The Barbanerans are descendent from the early Celanoran colonisers. They most often have darker skin but still vaguely ressemble Celanorans. While all residents of the island tend to refer to themselves as Barbaneran, only people of further descent can identify as such on the census. Some Barbanerans have chosen the term "Meridionales" to differentiate themselves from other residents who are not in this group.
- The Aksoltalik people are native to the island. Their lineage can be traced back to mainland Gondwana, from which they were exiled by a malevolent god according to their legends. Due to differing environments, they are shorter and lighter than the average orc. Consequently, they are of similar stature and build to humans but still possess the green skin and tusks characteristic to their species. Early Celanoran settlers often were in conflict with the Aksoltalik, most of which waned under the Barbanera clique.
- The Novarans originate from any nation in Novaris. They are a varied group, 56% of which are retirees. While most countries are represented in this group, most are from Norvian-speaking nations that were once a part of the same empire as Barbanera. This group is mostly present on the eastern portion of the island due to the disputed nature of West-Zwartbaar.
- The Vistari is a broad category encompassing those who originate from any Vistari possession. Most of those living on Barbanera are from the Grand Dominion of North Gondwana and Vistaraland proper. The majority live in West-Zwartbaar.
Usage of the tricorona dates back to the era of Celonaran colonization. The symbol is present on both the state and civil flags and represents the Celanoran crown protecting the two major islands in Barbanera (Barbanera and Lucia). While this meaning has never changed, the way Barbanerans perceive the symbol has. Lorenzo "Barbanera" Insigne purposely continued to use the symbol while his clique administered the island to reclaim it as a symbol for the Barbaneran people. The flag in use under his rule was similar to the civil flag in use today, though these flags often utilized stitched white fabric over both red sections of the quadrisection flag instead of replacing it altogether. Alternatively, both sections with the tricorona were seperated from it, creating two smaller flags. The colonial flag is still in use today as the state flag, though most establishments choose to fly both. The tricorona also acts as the de facto coat of arms for the island despite it not having one.
- Including West-Zwartbaar.